Friday, April 30, 2010

City Lights...

(View of Syndey & the Harbour Bridge @ Night)

My wife recently added a new ring tone that is for calls & texts so needless to say i hear this song ALOT. Its "Life Light Up" by Christy Nockels. The line that i hear over and over is the first line of the chorus: "Let my life light up like the city lights...".

I heard this ring tone probably 20 times before i really paid attention to the lyrics (and how often does that happen in other places too). Then it dawned on me that this song just so happened to line up with what i had been studying on Thursday's at lunch with my good friends Derrick & Chris. We were walking through Proverbs together and one of the verses that really resonated with me and became a repeating chorus in my head was from Prov. 13:9 -- "The lives of good people are brightly lit streets; the lives of the wicked are dark alleys."

For me illustrations and visual learning is a great way for something to sink into my head and soul. And this verse jumped off the page because i could clearly see a beautiful city lit up at night (see picture above) and i could also easily imagine a dark alley that would fit the description of wicked.

The take-away for me was the question: "So which one describes your life? Which one is a good picture for how i am living? What am i actually illuminating with my life, words, thoughts, actions?"

I challenge you to imagine a brightly lit city -- and then imagine a dark alley. Which one more accurately represents your life? Which one would you want people to associate with thoughts of you? Which one are you most like right now?

If its not the answer you really want and hope for -- do something about it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment